Network at a GlanceFunded by Lloyd's Register Foundation (formerly The Lloyd's Register Educational Trust).
In operation for five years from 2010 to 2016.
The researchers are associated with:
- Dalhousie University (Canada)
- The University of Melbourne (Australia)
- University of Southampton (UK)
- University of Sao Paulo (Brazil)
The LRF Chair in Modeling and Prediction of Marine Environmental Extremes and the Network Secretariat are located at Dalhousie University.
The overall objectives of the Network are to:
- Improve short-term forecasts of extreme marine events that threaten coastal communities and marine activities such as shipping and oil and gas installations.
- Estimate the frequency of extreme marine events over coming decades with realistic measures of uncertainty.
- Present the results in a way that is useful for scientists, users and the general public.